Tuesday 1 March 2011

Pens down! (Keep Writing)

Project 365 Day 133: What I Read Yesterday

What a month! It's been amazing reading through all the small stones everyone has sent us for the book. I think I've replied to everyone now, so if you haven't heard anything do let me know.

I've learnt how many things there are to notice in the world and I've learnt how many of us notice the same things: a beautiful sunset, a robin on a fence, and lots and lots of snow. 

I've learnt that everyone has something to say and something to offer.

I've been reminded that I can be judgmental, that Fiona and I like different things and that sometimes we find the same things grating (writing that misses out articles and prepositions just to sound 'poetic'). 

I imagine that if someone else were in our shoes they would have chosen differently, and I expect we've missed some really good pieces of writing out there in the blogosphere, and in people's journals and notebooks, but that's okay. 

The next job is to transform what we have at the moment, one long list of everyone's stones, into a book manuscript, including the other little pieces of writing we have, introductions and appendices.

We're no longer accepting submissions for pay attention: a river of stones  but I encourage you all to keep writing - keep your small stone blogs going, and keep writing in your journals. Join the Writing Our Way Home forums if you want support and encouragement from other writers. 

If you want to learn about writing then read lots too: devour poetry, savour each word, find out how what you like works; collect beautiful prose. Ask 'how do others write about the world?'

I've been reading David Mamet's South of the N. E. Kingdom. It's slow and delicious, I've learnt as much about the craft of writing as I have about life in Vermont.

Keep an eye out for more book news, and for the July river of stones. We look forward to seeing you there.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this! And for all the encouragement! It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So enjoyed my participation in the AROS project. Would like to invite other stone collectors to check out my upcoming chapbook. Here's a post about it (and my lunch with Billy Collins): http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/02/28/lunch-with-billy-collins-or-sell-the-hell-out-of-it/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive really learnt so much from you about writing and watching my environment for things to write about.

    So like the other poster here want thank you for doing this and providing the venue as it were for us. I am so looking forward to seeing all the other works in the upcoming book. ps deleted my other post due to typos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. So good to hear that it's meant so much to so many of you!

    ReplyDelete